Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I got Big Love in my heart, baby yeah

Regarding the HBO issue:

Church leaders: "Certainly church members are offended when their most sacred practices are misrepresented or presented without context or understanding," the church statement said.

HBO: "In approaching the dramatization of the endowment ceremony, we knew we had a responsibility to be completely accurate and to show the ceremony in the proper context and with respect."

I've only got a few things to say-

1) It doesn't matter how accurate the depiction is, unless a person has been expressely taught, (and I don't mean by Google) and has made the committment and has spiritually prepared for it, it IS going to be recieved out of context and without understanding.

2) The fact that they got their instruction from an ex-mormon who is going against the wishes of the church by revealing everything means that it is, in all likelihood, already biased.

3) It really isn't about accuracy anyway. It is about some TV executives' utter disrespect. They may not understand or agree with mormons, but they absolutely know that what they are doing is disrespectful.

5 comments:

NaDell said...

Did the Burlington Coat Factory lady call you "Halley Stankley"? Really? How do you mess up your name? Unless they call you Cal-E (the right way??) or Cal-I or Kell-E?

I'm annoyed by the Big Love thing, but really, do whoever it is who watches it, do they really care or are they just making fun of the people on there?
I don't like that they are using the Temple, of course. I agree with The Church's statement.

Cali said...

NaDell, I'm sure you're right. Most people probably don't even care.

The name thing - well I don't know how that happened but it did. :)

M said...

AMEN to everything you wrote! Well said, my friend :D

Tisha Morgan said...

I completely agree with you, and had planned on blogging about it, but didn't want to draw more attention. IF I had blogged, I'm sure I would not have said it as well as you did!

Sue said...

As a non-Mormon I have to say I don't think the church does itself any favor by having secret ceremonies. It is just human nature to make up information when there are secrets. And non-Mormons wonder why God would want there to be secrets any way. I'm all for religious freedom but also wonder what's the point of all the mystery.