Sunday, April 19, 2009

stuff...

Well, after a few weeks of red-boxing, we have decided on Netflix. We just signed up for the 3-at-a-time plan. I don't know how much of what we'll be able to watch, but I'm strangely excited to get movies.

This is the last week of the semester, and then we have finals. Yay!

I am kind of behind my normal quarterly-schedule at work, so this next week will also include pushing hard straight through to the April 30th deadline. I've stocked up on lean cuisines in case I have to do very much lunch break skipping. (Hopefully not.)

We've got a whole week of 70's ahead of us, so you know what that means! Time to buy some watermelon-scented deodorant! Yay!!

I went to ward-council this morning in place of our primary president, who just had her second child and was out of town. The stake leaders were there. I found it interesting, the giving of "stewardship reports," which are an account of performance numbers and accountability in how well their efforts have been and their successes, some things they may be struggling with and where they could improve, and the welfare of the people in their... stewardship. It was pretty much exactly like report day (or "numbers day") at work, only in a religious context. And council and encouragement was also provided, of course.

I have asked to be released from my calling in the primary. The bishop had a meeting with me to discuss my feelings about it. I told him there were some other things in my life that need to take priority right now. I guess they are going to be reorganizing our primary anyway, so I would've got released anyway. One of the things that I need to work on that I think will help (maybe not solve, but help) with things is my personal relationship with Heavenly Father. It has kind of suffered in the last six months or so. There are many things I can and will do for that, and one of them is go to the full three-hour block. So I actually look forward to just being able to go to church, and sit and listen and be taught and uplifted, without worrying about some more things that need to be done. (I suppose it is wrong for me to say it that way, I don't know how to excuse myself for that.) But the bishop asked that I continue to serve in other ways, for example in my home, and for my neighbors and others around me. I'm fine with that.

And also, I say 'help not solve', because I feel that while it is possible to recieve divine guidance in our own lives, I think that we are expected to do our share of work too, to do what we can.

Geoff made it home from Oregon safe and sound, and so ends my weekend alone. It wasn't as scary being alone in a dark house at night as I would've thought. Even given the fact that we suspect our place is haunted. I avoided watching the scary ghost hunting shows, and was sure to stay up late and just go to sleep quickly so I wouldn't have to think about it. (I know I'm a wimp). Wally kept me company too. In fact, he was unusually cuddly with me while Geoff was gone.

3 comments:

Staci... said...

Cali I totally understand all your concerns and what you are saying! You are awesome! I love ya! Thanks for all you do and especially for you who are!!! I am here for you for anything!!!

Jax said...

Woo hoo! You'll love Netflix, Cali. Just remember not to limit yourself to American top releases. Some of the best movies I've watched have been ones in the foreign, independent, and documentary categories, and you'd never find them at the local video store. Thank goodness for Netflix. Make liberal use of the red "Add" buttons peppered throughout that website. I have almost 500 titles in my queue right now--the limit of what it can hold. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Yay for Netflix! I'm happy for you. :) I admire you for asking to be released from your calling, actually. I think as members of the church we're hardwired to not ever say no to anything, even when other stuff (i.e. personal development) has to suffer. Go you. I love the Train song on your profile! I always love all of your music!