Thursday, June 25, 2009

Cake on a stick and da kine

Last night I had a dream that mom and dad worked for a gas station chain.

I walked in the front door of their house and into the kitchen, and saw a bunch of cupcakes with pink frosting on the counter. I looked in the fridge (because that's what I do when I go there) and saw a display of jagged sections of cake, on sticks. Cake on a stick. I helped myself to one and looked out the window, and saw a Happy Pappy's delivery truck parked out front. Mom walked into the kitchen.

"Mom, why's there a Happy Pappy's truck out front?" I asked.

"Well," began Mom, "Vern's opened a new gas station right next to ours in Millville, where all the motocross races are."

"Oh no," I said, "Is it hurting business?"

Mom nodded slowly, "It's tricky, it's tricky."

Mom went on to explain that the gas station chain they worked for started a new division of business, called Happy Pappy's, which offered low-price, lower-end, non-formal event photography, and included cake on a stick and popcorn. Mom had been pulled from her post at the gas station and been given a new job as a Happy Pappy's photographer.

They are trying to stay ahead of the competition by coming up with new stuff before Vern's does, I thought. Expanding through unrelated diversification. I wonder if they'll be able to fall back on Happy's if the competition gets too rough.

I pondered these things quietly as I picked at my cake on a stick and watched mom lay some photos on the counter.

Then I thought I felt mom playing with my hair... then I woke up. Nope, it was Geoff. (Awwwww cute). I probably wouldn't have remembered the dream if I hadn't woken up at that moment, and it gave me something to blog about, so thanks hon.

Anyway - The Diagnosis:

Dreaming about cake: GOOD
Dreaming about unrelated diversification: NOT SO GOOD. And WHAT THE HECK.

I guess three hours of business class shortly before bed could do that you. But why didn't I dream about Dog the Bounty Hunter? Hmmm, maybe next time, braddah.

PS- who's to say cake-on-a-stick wouldn't be a good business venture?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee, that was good, Cal.

I get a totally different diagnosis about your mom and dad though. A little unsettling...

..maybe we should change careers.

Cali said...

Ha what, don't you want to be a Happy Pappy's photographer and pass out cake on a stick and popcorn? Sounds like fun to me.

Cali said...

And in Millville too! Who wouldn't do it??

Chakeshemo said...

cake on a stick. hmmm, has possibilities.

JohnnyB said...

http://www.weddingbee.com/2008/02/21/whats-better-than-cake-on-a-stick/

http://shewalkssoftly.com/2009/03/31/cake-on-a-stick/

JohnnyB said...

I'd never heard of cake on a stick before, buit why not. The ability to be served on a stick is perhaps the one and only feature where cake is superior to pie

Cali said...

Ha ha, so it actually exists!! I think this may be the happiest day of my life, for reals. I am really going to try that recipe!

Anonymous said...

If anyone can find it, Johnny can! Cute cakes-on-a-sticks! Good work, Johnny!

R.I.P Michael Jackson :(