Sunday, July 19, 2009

I heart Utah and scary movies

Well I was gonna say more to finish off that last post, but now it's been a few days and it's old, so nevermind. We've had a great weekend! On Friday there was a potluck contest at Geoff's work, and Geoff entered some crock-pot chili and won. They gave him a gift basket with a t-shirt and some candy. After we got off work, Andrea, a friend of the family, came to visit. She's down for a family reunion. It was nice of her to stop by; we haven't even seen her since our wedding reception!

Saturday we got up early and studied for a test, which we took at ten at the testing center. Then we went up to Thanksgiving Point around 1, because Geoff was working at the "I Heart Utah" festival for the United Way and I just wanted to go with. It was pretty much the same thing you see at the Freedom Festival in Provo - lots of booths. Only there weren't very many people there - I'd say they didn't do a very good job advertising because I wouldn't have known about it otherwise. Anyway, we sat at a booth and talked for a couple hours with a lady Geoff works with. She was so funny. Somehow the conversation got on the subject of ghost tours. Her husband is a recreation professor and they've done some study-abroad programs, which has allowed them to travel. Something they enjoy doing is ghost tours, and she said the best one they ever went on was in Edinburgh, Scotland - they toured the underground vaults. Ghost Adventures did a show down there. (Have I mentioned we love Ghost Adventures?) She was telling us there's a local ghost tour for Orem, and said there's a house right on state street that's part of the tour. Also - somewhat unrelated, she said they lived in a Mortuary at one time - and not by choice, they didn't find out until after they'd moved in. They used to do haunted houses for the boy scouts and stuff (a bring a can of food and get in type of thing), even though she said it wasn't really haunted. Anyway. It was an interesting conversation.

We were at the festival for a couple of hours, and it was so hot! We were dying. We learned later that it reached 106 degrees!! (Gosh maybe it was the heat that kept people away. I guess it also could've been the cheesy name though, ha ha). I tried something new there- a waffle sunday. It had ice-cream, whipped cream, and cinnamon-sugar on it and was to DIE for. There was something different about the batter that made it sooo good. I wouldn't've thought about putting ice-cream on a waffle but it was GOOD. (No, I didn't meet the nutrition points for the week. Did good on the water and exercising though!

Anyway, on our way home we thought it would be cool to stop by that house on state street and check it out. I didn't think I'd ever seen any houses on state street - but there it was. It's been converted into an antiques and gift shop. In the upstairs there were four rooms, and only two of them were open. One of the doors was chained off, except the padlock was open, and the door was cracked, and it was dark and you could only see a few objects inside. We dared each other to undo the padlock and poke our heads in, but we chickened out. I just didn't want to get in trouble, wink wink. The girls that were working there had a standard poodle named Charlie, and we loved that poodle. It was huge! I've never seen a standard before. It was sooo mellow. We talked and I said when we have a house with a yard, I want a standard poodle and a standard schnauzer. Geoff wants a bassett hound, so I guess we'll just have a bunch of dogs.

When we got home, we made dinner, got the air mattress out, and watched Inkheart and a Haunting in Connecticut. That movie was SCARY! We both screamed. It's about a family that moves into an old mortuary - funny that we were just talking to someone who did that earlier that day. It was so creepy that I took sleeping pills to avoid having another night like that recent one, because I knew Geoff would fall straight to sleep. Well, today it felt like they never wore off. I've been sooo sleepy and almost winded, you know weak.

Anyway, today Geoff and I have just been watching movies - Happy Feet, Madea Goes to Jail, and Doubt. Talk about lazy Sunday, but I love it! Oh, and I bought the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack and love it!! I wanted to post some of my favs from the album but they aren't on playlist.

1 comment:

Tisha Morgan said...

I love waffle sundaes. We ate them a lot growing up, only we called them dinner waffles. Why ice cream comes on a dinner waffle I don't know, but I sure enjoyed those nights!