Thursday, July 16, 2009

sleep and addictions

Someone moved in upstairs. We haven't met him, but I know he drives a truck that appears to be from Texas. And I think he lives alone. And he snores. Loudly. Apparently he moved in a couple of days ago, because I've been waking up wondering what in the world is someone doing outside with a leaf blower, turning it on and off, on and off. Yeah, it was just the guy upstairs in deep sleep. I almost feel bad saying it, but pretty much the only thing that differentiates it from the sound of the downgrading trucks on the freeway is the pulsing regularity of it. I'm sure he's a real nice guy and I shouldn't say mean things. Maybe it's just another reason to buy a house (hint! hint!)

I've thought about addictions a little bit in the last few months. I'm not addicted, it's just interesting. The commonality I've noticed is that addictions are driven by deap-seated self-worth problems, which the person avoids confronting by committing the addictive behavior. It's not about being bored, it's about low self-worth. And it's extremely hard for people with addictions to recognize their low self-worth and admit it's there, because they've been denying it and running from it - the whole purpose for the addiction. It's a way to stay out of touch with feelings so they don't have to face them. It sounds like kind of a hard thing to fix. I'm told that addicted people can quit the behaviors, but the driver for the addiction (the negative feelings) will still be there until they're faced, sometimes causing the addictive behavior to shift to something else.

No comments: