Thursday, July 9, 2009

Oregon memories

Check out the new song in the playlist - Ain't no rest for the wicked, cage the elephant. Likes it mucho.

Geoff's going to be gone until probably 9:30 or so tonight, so I've got a good three hours to prepare dinner. I'm pretty excited to make something. I'm making my mom's corned-beef and cabbage recipe with carrots. I loved it as a kid, hopefully Geoff likes it. He pretty much covets my mom's cooking, so he probably will. Tomorrow I'm going to try broiled salmon with butter herb stuff with rosemary and something else I've never heard of before. With steamed veggies and maybe fresh rolls or something. Mmmmmm it is so fun!



Thinking about the Oregon coast the other day brought back some honeymoon memories. We only saw the stretch of coast between Brookings, OR and Crescent City, CA, but it was beautiful. We stayed in this cute little place close to Brookings that was right on the beach. One night we drove to Crescent City and went to the only movie that was playing - The Ring 2. If you've never seen the movie before, know it takes place in the pacific northwest, which is pretty much where we were. (Actually it takes place in Astoria which is the north end of Oregon's coast, but everything looked pretty much the same as where we were.) There is a scene in the movie where Rachel and her son are driving along a road lined with thick, tall trees, when they hit a deer. The deer is unharmed, and turns to eye them intently as it walks away into the forest. They sit there in shock until a few moments later, they are suddenly battered from all sides by several deer who throw their bodies against the car over and over. (It's a pretty creepy movie; probably wouldn't watch it again.)


Anyway, by the time the movie got out, it was late and dark. And we had to drive this road to get back to our room:



Talk about freaky!! Pretty much exactly the road in the movie. This picture was taken during the day obviously, and from behind the windsheild, but you see it. Anyway.

We drove a similar road somewhere out there - I think it might've been the highway between Grants Pass and the Oregon Coast Hwy (HWY 199 - I'm not positive though). I just remember the trees were so, and caused it to be dark even though it was day, and the roadside was flecked with horribly run-down-looking houses, with broken windows and moss growing on the roofs. I even remember a little old motel-ish looking thing and thought it looked like a ripe horror movie. There was a house with displays of carved wood flowing all over the yard- as though someone would stop for a souvenier. There was evidence of people, but no people. It was enchanting, but I would seriously hate to break down on that highway.

Anyway, I'm off to the grocery store.

4 comments:

justine said...

can I come over to dinner? it sounds absolutely amazing...just let me know, I will need at least 7 hours notice to get up to your neck of the woods...

Cali said...

Ha ha. Well let's hope the results match my intentions! :) You are welcome any time Justine!

JohnnyB said...

You described the creepiness so well, I just went and turned all the lights on.

Cali said...

Why thank you.