Thursday, August 27, 2009

Somethin' happnin' 'round here. What it is ain't exactly clear

It's a cold. Bleh. But I don't think I should ask for more time off after just getting back from a huge long vacation. I'm armed with hand sanitizer though. Hopefully that helps.

Last night, after class, my professor said he wanted to pick my brain about a facebook comment I'd made about how no one in their right mind would ever go to graduate school at UVU. (They are in the process of implementing some graduate programs and are trying to get people excited about it). Of course I could on and on and on about it, but I just told him I've had so many frustrations with trying to get a degree doing night school only (and some of the prerequisites for grad school aren't even offered at night, period.) He joked it off as wanting gossip about some of the other professors, but I think he felt kind of bad. Then I felt really bad because he is one of the good professors at the school of business and I really like him. Geoff said later, "Well, everyone's entitled to their own opinion."

Thinking about it some more, the facts that they offer night classes at all and that I am getting a degree says that they do want to facilitate night students, but I think maybe I am just not of their target demographic, shown by lack of resources at appropriate times (classes, testing, library, lab times). They want students who can go mostly during the day, and mostly in the fall and spring, and not during the summer. I don't think getting a jump on a working career is highly valued at UVU, or they would facilitate that better. There are other institutions that cater more to day-time full-time workers, like the University of Phoenix, and probably others.

Anyway, tomorrow is a mile-marker in my employment here: my 3-year Anniversary! It is also our annual company/client golf tournament. About half of the employees here go to set up, and sit at each of the holes to greet the clients as they go by and offer refreshments. We were assigned this year, and I'm at a hole with one of the salesmen. I hope it isn't awkward, still, of all the salesmen (who are all very nice) he is the one I'd most prefer to be paired with.

And Sunday is my birthday, the fourth birthday I've had while being here. August is great.

4 comments:

Rory said...

Yeah, I agree. It's not just with UVU though. It's just about every school. Next semester, if I don't get a job that can work me part time in the afternoon and/or evening, I'm not going to be able to take half the classes I need-- and it only gets worse from there. Then, when I transfer to Utah, I'll have to go strictly during the fall and spring, until I die. Also, classes in your junior and Sr. year are more focussed and not nearly as plentiful as gen ed classes. Hence the fact you might only be able to take them two semester's to one semester a year. I wish they facilitated more, but I don't know how they'd do it with such low demand in the higher level classes.

Cali said...

Hey Rory! I think you are right. I think they could attract so much more business if they did offer what people needed though. Especially right now with so many people going back to school, it seems like it would be an untapped market, an opportunity for them. But they can't seem to see that, let alone the needs of their current students. That's why I just doubt that a school that can't see its own students needs could ever be organized enough to pull off a good graduate program.

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I hate Facebook for that reason, that's all. It totally ruins your ability to trash talk anything without some awkwardness.

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I hate Facebook for that reason, that's all. It totally ruins your ability to trash talk anything without some awkwardness.