Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Loving the online idea

Good news! Well, two things I guess. One, we got a new camera. One with a memory card, and that plugs straight into the computer where you can either import or copy and paste. Geoff said he could use it for work tomorrow, but I'm excited just to have it. Expect to see lots more pictures!

Two, I talked with a guy at University of Phoenix, and am pretty excited about the program. He was soooo nice and helpful. Some of the things I found out that will be helpful in the decision making are:

1) The don't have a MAcc, they have an MSA. I'll need to research what the difference is, if it matters, and how much.

2) Because I'm already an accounting major, there are no prerequisites for the program. MAJOR PLUS. But, if I want to take some of the classes I couldn't take at UVU, they are available. Another MAJOR PLUS. What I'd probably do is just read some books that have to do with the classes I don't have so that I'm not totally in the dark when starting up again. I've no problem with doing that.

3) Taking the GMAT is not required. Another major plus. He said this is partly because they are an online program and there isn't as much of a need to limit enrollment.

4) Being employed is actually a requirement. Ha ha, imagine. A requirement and not just an impediment to being a stinking "student first." I love it.

5) The classes are run one at a time, allowing six weeks for each course. Another plus. I love the seven-week summer sessions at UVU because of their shortness. And taking one Univ. of Phoenix class at a time for six weeks can't be any worse than taking three UVU classes at a time for seven weeks. Sounds do-able to me.

6) You are not required to be online at any specific times. There are deadlines for the course, but you do not have to have an "online presence" at any specific time. I love the prospect of flexibility.

Sounds pretty good so far. Here's the kicker though, the one that made me catch my breath -

7) There are twelve classes, and each class costs a whopping $2,070. That includes books, but is still about three times as expensive as UVU here. They do offer financial aid of up to about $20,000 per year. I won't say how much I make, but $20,000 would definately take enough chunk out that we'd need to have financial aid. Don't know if I relish the thought of having that much more in student loans to pay back, but it is an option.

So, now I have to really think about if it's what I want to do. I was told to wait until the bachelor's was official before applying, so I've got some time. I also spoke with someone else at - I think Stetson University - who said that there are prerequisistes for their school and they aren't offered by their school. I'd have to take them through the AICPA or Elearners website before enrolling. And they do have the GMAT requirement. So those are some differences. I need to find out how much some of the other schools cost. There are still a few things to look into, but the ball is rolling.

1 comment:

Diane said...

That is a great move! I am taking 3 online and 1 on campus, and prefer the online! So much easier, and you can take it at your own pace. Good luck in whatever you do!