Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sat morning

Love weekends!  Last night after work Geoff and I went to this place called Friday's Kids in Salem.  They also have them in Orem and Lehi.  But it's a place where parents of special needs children can bring them to play for a few hours so they can get away without the kids for a few hours.  We were assigned to this kid,  M, who had cerebral palsy and was mostly deaf and blind.  Poor kid.  We pushed him in his swing for the most part, but every now and then he wanted Geoff to pick him up and hold him.  Some of the regular volunteers said he's kind of picky about who holds him, but he was so attached to Geoff, it was cute.  I played with this kid, H, for a little bit, and he would put on this dragon costume and chase the other kids around, and they would pretend to be scared and run away screaming, then he'd get real close and throw the costume off and shrug his shoulders and everyone would say, "Oh, it's just H."  Then he'd put the costume back on and it would start all over.  I'll be honest I was a little nervous to go play with the kids - not because of them, but it's just been so many years (about 7, back when I was in the nursery at church) since I've really played with little kids period, I worried I wouldn't know how.  But it worked out great, and they were so cute.

After that, we went to our fav. Mongolian place in Springville and brought dinner home, yummmmmm.

I have to go to work for a couple of hours this morning, then we'll be taking Gwennie to this two-hour socialization play-time thing.  I'm curious to see how she really does with other dogs.  She went to day care again yesterday and seemed fine.  The workers said she's such an energetic little puppy, ha.  After that, I think we're going to Mt. Pleasant to do dinner with some friends.  I just love the weekends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being the oldest child in the family, you were always good at play-acting and telling stories that you've made up and singing to everyone. You were great with kids!

Cali said...

Yeah - don't know what happened, lol. Went and growed up, I guess.