Saturday, August 28, 2010

"So did you see that sky today? Talk about blue."

On Thursday, I went back to the school that I swore never to set foot in again.  It was the first day of class, and it wasn't bad at all.  The instructor seems like a very nice, reasonable guy.  We are only being graded on quizzes and tests - no homework, though it will be suggested and I plan to do it - and no group projects or dumb term papers, which I appreciate.  I was surprised that they've redone the entire inside of the business building, and it actually looks kind of nice now - not straight out of the seventies.  I think before, I was just so burned out that I hated everything about school - and that little fiasco with the academic advisor.  But I think one class will be just fine.  Even with my other job which is also 1-2 nights a week, there will still be plenty of time to spend at home with my family - which is the most important!  As I have learned.

Geoff had the day off yesterday, and when I got home, he had cleaned the house and bought The Emporer's New Groove and Brother Bear for me, and A Bug's Life for him.  I was so excited!  He'd told me he was going to get me those for my birthday and I was so dang excited to watch Emporer's New Groove.  It's chock full of one-liners, and my favorite from days past.  So we watched it together, then spent the rest of the night reading/crossword puzzling.  T'was nice.  Oh and we also took Gwennie to obedience training.  It's a useful class, especially if you've never truly trained a dog before.  Not sure yet if it was worth what we paid for it, but we'll make the most of it.

So I was thinking to myself yesterday afternoon, how cool it would be to live in Ireland.  Then, if I wanted to live in Ireland, I'd have to be able to make a living somehow, right?  Then it struck me, Chartered Accountancy.  I could be a Chartered Accountant and live anywhere in the world I wanted.  Everything I know about becoming a Chartered Accountant, I learned from Wikipedia which obviously isn't saying much.  But I know they have Institutes in Ireland and Scotland, as well as all over the world.  It's pretty big dreams and big talk, and very intimidating to think about, but there really isn't anything to stop me, is there?  I mean if I really wanted to do that and was willing to work for it, I could do it.  As far as I know.  I need to do a lot more research.

Of course the big consideration here was weather or not Geoff was willing to even consider the idea of living in another country.  Maybe not for the rest of our lives, but for a time.  Guess what, he was!!  He was totally open to that idea, even saying that U of U has a degree for international social work.  (Not that he'd have to do that, I'm sure any social work degree would work just as well).  He did live in Ecuador for a few years so I think the idea probably sounds doable to him.  As for me, I would think that it would be a good idea to become certified in the U.S. first and get some work experience.  Which if it's done that way then it would probably be the better part of a decade before we were ready to go overseas.  But wow, it would be worth it.  It gives me new motivation to get going on the here and now.

This half stormy, half blue-sky weather is perfect!  I love it!

2 comments:

Jessica GaleForce said...

I would totally want to live in Ireland! That would be so cool beans AWESOME if you do it! I say go for it. Why not right! I mean seriously! Living in another country for 6+months is totally on my bucklist! DO IT DO IT DO IT!!

Cali said...

Thanks for the support! :)