Friday, March 18, 2011

5K Training for a Couch Potato

Hullo.  I started 5K training this week (again).  I'm using this awesome "couch potato" training program that takes you from seriously out of shape, to being able to run a whole 5K.  Which is perfect because I am just that - seriously out of shape.  And I've decided to write each day's activity on here, for the halibut. 

My reasons for doing this are: 1) to slim down, and 2) to accomplish something cool that will hopefully improve my health and help me feel better

There are two days each week that you're either supposed to take a break, or do something other than running.  The days of the week go like this:  rest / run / run / rest / run / run / run... then start over.  I miscounted my start day, which was a totally dumb airhead moment, so I'm already off schedule.  But the important thing is, I've exercised three times already this week. 

Monday: Walked Gwennie at the park for 30 mins
Tuesday: No exercise
Weds: Walked for 5 mins, then ran for 1 min, repeated for 30 mins
Thurs: Walkd for 5 mins, then ran for 1 min, repeated for 30 mins

Geoff and I went to the gym together last night.  He is like superman compared to me.  He can run 3 miles in 30 minutes at a constant speed 6.  (He says that's the minimum for some kind of army training.  Not that he's applying for the army but I guess it seemed like a good benchmark.)  And there I was, next to him, walking at 3.5 for five minutes, then running at a 6 for one minute, then repeating.  And by the end of that one minute, I was huffing and puffing and needing the switch back to a walking pace.  Sigh.  Someday I will be able to do that, hopefully.  If I keep it up.

Tonight I would like to just go do some weight training.  But today is our 6th Anniversary, and in honor of our accomplishment, we are going out to eat at Rodizio Grill.  And I'm really excited.  (We can do the gym late late after we get home).

Okay, so I know my whole plan is flawed if I don't eat right.  I'm not perfect, but I'm mostly trying.  Kicking the constant sugar habit is going to hurt, I'm sure.  But hey I figure even a little improvement is better than no improvement at all.  One elephant at a time.

1 comment:

Lyndsie said...

Happy Anniversary!