Thursday, July 17, 2008

we're sinking, we're sinking

Okay I'm going to vent in this one. I......... seriously don't know how much more I can take right now. I just want to cry every time I even think about school. I know being able to get an education is a blessing, but my brain is on burnout. I sat in class this evening falling asleep over and over and finally Geoff told me to just go home. Professor just reads straight out of the book for 2.5 hours every single night, it would've been more effective to just take it on the internet and teach myself. 10 hours of this stuff every week... what a huge waste of time. There's so much more that could be done in 10 hours than sit there and listen to someone read from a book. I just can't believe we pay so much money to suffer. It would've been a good good idea to take a break this block. I'm contemplating dropping all classes for next semester and taking it easy for a couple of months. That would push graduation back even further though, so I'm torn.

I once heard someone say that education is not about what you learn (because seriously, how much of it applies after you graduate anyway), it is about learning how to learn. And discipline and responsibility. I wish I could let that sink in right now. Just don't have the energy or the will.

Speaking of will, I framed that poem and put it on my desk at work. Need to read it more.

By the way, who has seen that commercial about the young german newly hired as some kind of control operator for the navy or whatever. He sits there in front of the control board on the first day, and suddenly a call comes in: "mayday! mayday!" .............. "we're sinking! we're sinking!" And the german guy gets on the radio and says, "What are you sinking about?" ha ha. I'm using that as my title.

5 comments:

M said...

I KNEW that was what your title was from! Ha Ha! That is so funny. Sorry that school is rough right now. I deferred a semester a while ago. It did push back graduation but it was nice to get my bearings.

Kristie said...

Hey!
I am so glad to see that things are going well for you. Keep trucking along with school it is totally worth it in the end! Next summer we are going to have a "high school friends" reunion! We need to get together!

Anonymous said...

I am a fierce proponent of taking time off when you need it. I was out of school for two years before going back (this time--there have been a few "breaks")! There is no need to stress yourself out. Take a break and then you'll appreciate it a lot more when you do go back. It's going to take you longer but there's no law saying you can't take longer than four years to finish. Sometimes it takes longer than that to learn how to learn. :) Sorry for the long comment. I just really believe in the occasional break! :)

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. You need to keep your sanity and give yourself a break. It's only a few months off, not years.

DeAnna said...

I know how you feel. I remember just wanting to give up and thinking that my professors were complete idiots, but I have to say that first semester after you are done and you realize that everyone else is taking finals while you...aren't...is so worth it. Hang in there.