Sunday, September 13, 2009

Quotes

Geoff and I were asked to read a couple of quotes in sunday school today. I couldn't manage to read mine loud enough for everyone to hear. :( But I liked it a lot, so I'm posting it as one of two quotes today. The second one, by Gordon B. Hinckley, I had glued into the binding of my scriptures way back in high school and is one of my favorites! I just happened to think of it today.

#1
Elder M. Russell Ballard:
"Life isn't always easy. At some point in our journey we may feel much as the pioneers did as they crossed Iowa - up to our knees in mud, forced to bury some of our dreams along the way. We all face rocky ridges, with the wind in our face and winter coming on too soon. Sometimes it seems as though there is no end to the dust that stings our eyes and clouds our vision. Sharp edges of despair and discouragement jut out of the terrain to slow our passage... Occasionally we reach the top of one summit in life, just as the pioneers did, only to see more mountain peaks ahead, higher and more challenging than the one we have just traversed. Tapping unseen reservoirs of faith and endurance, we, as did our forbears, inch ever forward toward that day when our voices can join with those of all pioneers who have endured in faith, singing, 'All is well! All is well!'" (in Conference Report, Apr. 1997, 82; or Ensign, May 1997, 61)
#2
"Love is the very essence of life. It is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Yet it is not found only at the end of the rainbow. Love is at the beginning also, and from it springs the beauty that arched across the sky on a stormy day. Love is the security for which children weep, the yearning of youth, the adhesive that binds marriage, and the lubricant that prevents devastating friction in the home; it is the peace of old age, the sunlight of hope shining through death. How rich are those who enjoy it in their associations with family, friends, and neighbors! Love, like faith, is a gift of God. It is also the most enduring and most powerful virtue." - Gordon B. Hinckley

Love!

Also, while we were at church, sitting in the back of the cultural hall, I looked behind us and saw an open doorway with a staircase leading upwards. Wanting to find out where it went, we followed it. It lead up a full flight and into a room we'd never seen before or known was there, and then back down another flight of stairs to the back of the stage. NEAT! I've said before how our church building is such an old hodge-podge mix of hallways, rooms, and staircases. It's like they kept adding on and adding on randomly. I had this terrible thought that it would be the perfect setting for a cat-and-mouse horror/thriller movie, but that may be a little sacreligious. It's a church. It has so much personality though.

And I watched some previews for Twilight - New Moon, coming out in November! I can't wait to see it! It looks so good. One of my co-workers rented out a theater on opening night and is selling tickets to friends and family. I would go but the movie is at 12:54 a.m. on a Thursday night! I can't stay awake past midnight anymore. But I'm excited to see it.

No comments: